IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. This journal covers traditional areas of computer vision and image understanding, all traditional areas of pattern analysis and recognition, and selected areas of machine intelligence. Read the full scope of TPAMI.
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions! Replaces OnlinePlus in January 2017.
From the February 2019 issue
Disambiguating Visual Verbs
In this article, we introduce a new task, visual sense disambiguation for verbs: given an image and a verb, assign the correct sense of the verb, i.e., the one that describes the action depicted in the image. Just as textual word sense disambiguation is useful for a wide range of NLP tasks, visual sense disambiguation can be useful for multimodal tasks such as image retrieval, image description, and text illustration. We introduce a new dataset, which we call VerSe (short for Verb Sense) that augments existing multimodal datasets (COCO and TUHOI) with verb and sense labels. We explore supervised and unsupervised models for the sense disambiguation task using textual, visual, and multimodal embeddings. We also consider a scenario in which we must detect the verb depicted in an image prior to predicting its sense (i.e., there is no verbal information associated with the image). We find that textual embeddings perform well when gold-standard annotations (object labels and image descriptions) are available, while multimodal embeddings perform well on unannotated images. VerSe is publicly available at https://github.com/spandanagella/verse.
Editorials and Announcements
- TPAMI now offers authors access to Code Ocean. Code Ocean is a cloud-based executable research platform that allows authors to share their algorithms in an effort to make the world’s scientific code more open and reproducible. Learn more or sign up for free.
- We are pleased to announce that Sven Dickinson, a professor in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Toronto, Canada, has been named the new Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence starting in 2017.
- According to Clarivate Analytics' 2017 Journal Citation Report, TPAMI has an impact factor of 9.455.
- State of the Journal (Jan 2019)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2018)
- Incoming EIC Editorial (Jan 2017)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2017)
- State of the Journal (Feb 2016)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2015)
- Editor's Note (June 2013)
- Farewall State of the Journal (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (May 2012)
- Editor's Note (February 2012)
- State of the Journal (January 2012)
- Guest Editors' Introduction to the Special Section on Learning with Shared Information for Computer Vision and Multimedia Analysis (May 2018)
- Best of CVPR 2015 (April 2017)
- Special Issue on Multimodal Human Pose Recovery and Behavior Analysis (August 2016)
- Special Section on CVPR 2014 (July 2016)
- Special Section on CVPR 2013 (April 2016)
- Special Issue on Higher Order Graphical Models in Computer Vision (July 2015)
- Special Issue on Bayesian Nonparametrics (Feb 2015)
- TPAMI CVPR Special Section (Dec 2013)
- Special Section on Learning Deep Architectures (Aug 2013)
- In Memoriam: Mark Everingham (Nov 2012)
- Introduction to the Special Section on IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (September 2012)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Fine-Grained Visual Categorization
Extended submission deadline: 31 Oct. 2018
Access recently published TPAMI articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TPAMI content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TPAMI preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library