IEEE Transactions on Big Data
Expand your horizons with Colloquium, a monthly survey of abstracts from all CS transactions!
From the January-March 2018 issue
Big Data Based Security Analytics for Protecting Virtualized Infrastructures in Cloud Computing
By T.Y. Win, H. Tianfield, and Q. Mair
Virtualized infrastructure in cloud computing has become an attractive target for cyberattackers to launch advanced attacks. This paper proposes a novel big data based security analytics approach to detecting advanced attacks in virtualized infrastructures. Network logs as well as user application logs collected periodically from the guest virtual machines (VMs) are stored in the Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS). Then, extraction of attack features is performed through graph-based event correlation and MapReduce parser based identification of potential attack paths. Next, determination of attack presence is performed through two-step machine learning, namely logistic regression is applied to calculate attack's conditional probabilities with respect to the attributes, and belief propagation is applied to calculate the belief in existence of an attack based on them. Experiments are conducted to evaluate the proposed approach using well-known malware as well as in comparison with existing security techniques for virtualized infrastructure. The results show that our proposed approach is effective in detecting attacks with minimal performance overhead.
Editorials and Announcements
- In order to promote timely publication of regular paper submissions, please note that TBD is not currently accepting proposals for new special issues until the existing publication queue has been cleared.
- TBD is pleased to participate in a free trial offering of the new IEEE DataPort data repository, which supports authors in hosting and referring to their datasets during the article submission process. Learn more about this exciting opportunity.
- We're pleased to announce that Qiang Yang, head of the Huawei Noah's Ark Research Lab and a professor at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, has accepted the position of inaugural Editor-in-Chief beginning 1 Jan. 2015. Read more.
- State of the Journal Editorial (Jan-March 2018)
- State of the Journal Editorial (Jan-March 2017)
- Welcome to the IEEE Transactions on Big Data (Jan-March 2015)
- Introduction to the IEEE Transactions on Big Data (Jan-March 2015)
- Special Issue on Biomedical Big Data: Understanding, Learning and Applications (Oct-Dec 2017)
- Urban Computing (April-June 2017)
- Big Scholar Data Discovery and Collaboration (Jan-March 2017)
- Big Data Analytics and the Web (July-Sept 2016)
- Big Scholar Data Discovery and Collaboration (Continued) (April-June 2016)
- Big Scholar Data Discovery and Collaboration (Jan-March 2016)
- Big Data Analytics and the Web (Oct-Dec 2015)
- Big Media Data: Understanding, Search, and Mining (Part 2) (Oct-Dec 2015)
- Big Media Data: Understanding, Search, and Mining (July-Sept 2015)
Call for Papers
General Call for Papers
Access Recently Published TBD Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of recently published TBD content
Sign up for e-mail notifications through IEEE Xplore Content Alerts
View TBD preprints in the Computer Society Digital Library
TBD is financially cosponsored by:
TBD is technically cosponsored by: